Leah is a home economics teacher at Concordia school here in Toowoomba, and gave a cooking demonstration at last week's Community Health Meeting. She made the most scrumptious meatloaf made a few ways! A great recipe for a busy family as the mixture can be created into various different meals in one prep and then frozen and defrosted quickly as needed.
1kg ground beef
2 cups finely grated vegetables of choice (onion, zucchini, carrot etc)
1 teaspoon garlic
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 180’C.
2. In a large bowl, combine vegetables, garlic and herbs.
3. Add the mixture to the ground beef and mix until evenly incorporated.
4. Add the eggs and mustard making sure it is evenly combined.
1. Meatloaf: Place the meat mixture into a loaf pan lined with baking paper or lightly greased. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through. Serve with vegetables such as steamed potato and ‘gravy’.
2. Burgers: Shape into burger patties and bake 20 minutes or pan fry until cooked through. Serve as a burger with ‘mushroom buns’ and salad or home-made fries.
3. Meatballs: Make into meatballs and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with a quality Italian tomato sauce and ‘zoodles’ or spaghetti squash.
**Variations -Other ingredients could be added such as the following:
· Seeds such as pepitas, sunflower seeds or pine nuts.
· 2 Teaspoons curry powder.
· Chopped bacon
Approximately 6-10 mushrooms, chopped. (Soaked shiitake are fine, stronger tasting such as Portobello work best).
1 onion, chopped
1Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
3 cups beef bone broth (or quality beef stock)
2 teaspoons coconut aminos
Ground fresh pepper and salt to taste
Arrowroot slurry to thicken.
1. Sweat onion and mushrooms with a bit of ghee or olive oil.
2. Add bone broth
3. Bring to a boil then add herbs and season. (You can add parsley here as well if you want)
4. Add arrowroot slurry to thicken
5. Cook for a couple minutes until gravy thickens.
Be sure to share pictures of your creations on the Food For Life facebook page!